Friday, August 1, 2014

Summer Cleanup - BMW R1200C

For many years I watched these bikes. In parking lots, occasionally on the highway, and at the dealerships. Unfortunately, the high cost of entry kept me from jumping on one for a very long time. Then I started a slow and steady search on Craigslist. Checking the RSS feeds, looking for that perfect deal. After a couple of years I found it. A silver 2004 BMW R1200C.


I really wanted to find a Phoenix Edition bike, but something about this silver one grabbed my attention. It is a bit cleaner than stock with a couple minor mods; a Remus exhaust, the pencil beam driving lights, clear lenses, and a trimmed down seat. Truth be told, I appreciate the little bit of windshield when it is cold or drizzling and the bags turned out to be handy.


Yea, it doesn't have 200 HP or massive amounts of the twisty stuff, but it's good for 90 MPH if you need it. It turns nicely, stops fast and is reasonably comfortable for a 300 mile ride. I do wish it had a little more room in the cockpit and that the cylinders weren't quite so close to my toes in the summer, but in the winter it is nice to have a foot heater.


It's a good bike, it's solid and I like its German weirdness. It isn't exactly like the other hordes of American Iron and Japanese Speed I see everyday. Nothing against those makers at all. I still fantasize about a chopped Harley Davidson FXR and maintain  dreams of rebuilding my wrecked 1978 Yamaha SR500. The way I see it, if it has two wheels it is nothing but good.


NOW, STOP SURFING THE WEB AND GO RIDE!







2 comments:

  1. LINDA MOTO , MUITO BONITA . AQUI NO BRASIL EU TENHO UMA PRETA ANO 1998 QUE EU USO PARA PASSEIOS NOS FINAIS DE SEMANA .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have it and ride often. I remember when they came out in 1998. I wanted one they first time I saw it! Have fun in Brasil!

      Delete